Advantages and disadvantages of methods and media of health education
Here we are going to discuss the advantages and disadvantages of methods and the media of health education.
What is the method of health education?
Health education has a crucial role in the prevention of diseases and the reduction of health disparities.
Increasing health awareness and developing positive attitudes and behavior towards healthier living is an important need of people to cope with arising health problems as communicable and non-communicable diseases which are the leading cause of morbidity and mortality of the people.
Methods are the techniques or ways which consist of activities in a series.
Carried out to communicate, deliver health in formations and ideas.
It helps to develop knowledge, positive attitudes, and health-related skills.
What are Health Education types?
There are three methods of health education which are given below:
- Individual Method
- Group Method
- Mass Method
It includes the:-
It includes the following:-
- Group discussion
- Mini lecture
- Role Play
- Panel Discussion
- Buzz Session, etc.
The mass method includes the following:-
- Drama/ Museums
- Films/Documentaries/TV Shows
Advantages of methods of health education
The following are the advantages of methods of health education :
- Helpful for systematic teaching with the exchange of ideas.
- Develop confidence, creativity, and ability to perform tasks.
- Provide a maximum learning opportunity.
- Encourage participant’s power of learning, thinking, and critical analysis.
- Develops careful listening habits.
- Develops innovative ideas.
- Helps in long-lasting memory of the subject matter.
- Easy to identify their health problem.
- Can go in-depth study to concern subject.
Disadvantages of methods of health education
- Might be time-consuming.
- The organization of resources may not be adequate.
- Needs more space,
- May need more money, and
- May require more manpower
- Needs more time for preparation and planning.
What is media in health education?
Media are teaching aids in health education.
Through health education medias health messages, knowledge, ideas, and information are disseminated or communicated among people.
Types of Health Education
There are 3 types of health education Media which are as follows:
- Audio Aids
- Visual Aids
- Audio-Visual Aid
Audio ads include the following:
- Tape Recorder, etc.
Visual ads include the following:
- Flip charts
- Newspapers, etc.
Audiovisual aids include the following:-
- Television, etc.
Advantages of health education medias
Advantages of health education media:
- Attracts a large audience.
- Helps to communicate ideas quickly.
- Creates emotions.
- Helps to develop creativity among learners.
- Promote creative thinking and oral communication skills.
- Even the illiterate people can learn from seeing the picture. Example: posters.
Disadvantages of health education medias
Disadvantages of health education media:
- Audiences are bound to listen only at a particular duration of time(Radio).
- Some of the medias example: string puppets need high technical skills.
- Preparation is very time-consuming.
- One way communication may sometime lead to misunderstanding. (Example: Banners)
We have discussed the advantages and disadvantages of methods and media of health education.
Factors to be considered for the selection of appropriate methods of health education are as follows:-
- Content of the subject matter
- Level and group of the participants
- Physical facilities
- Need, interest, and maturity of the participants
- Presentation skills
- Allocation of time
- Tradition, culture, and social and economic status.
The criteria for the appropriate selection of health education media are as follows:-
- Consider the nature of the audience: literate or illiterate, child or adult or old, physically differently able (deaf or blind)
- Size of the audience
- Easy to use, see and understand
- Simple and direct
- Easy to handle and transport
- Attractive, clean, and good working condition
- Resources available in the target place and time: electricity, space, etc.
- Content of the topic
Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
What is media of health education?
Health education media are teaching aids. Through health education medias health messages, knowledge, ideas, and information are disseminated or communicated among people.
What are health education methods?
Health Education methods are the techniques or ways in which a series of activities carried out to communicate, deliver health in formations and ideas, and develop knowledge, attitudes, and skills.
What are the 4 methods of learning?
The four methods of learning are: learning by doing, learning by hearing, learning by seeing, and learning by imitating.
What are the aims and objectives of health education?
The main aim of health education is to increase knowledge, develop positive attitudes, and to develop skills on health and health-related issues.