School health services are the most important part of the school health program. Thus, there will be protection and improvement of the health status of the school family by the co-operation efforts of health workers and other related persons. The advantages of school health services will be discussed below.
What are the school health services?
- The school health services are defined as the procedures by which physicians, dentists, nurses, teachers, etc . designed,
- To promote, protect, prevent, and to achieve the optimal health status of school children and other school staff and personnel.
- The health problems of school children vary from place to place. The most common health problems of school children in the US are:
- colds, coughs and ear infections,
- diarrhea and vomiting,
- infections and parasites
- dental caries and
- immunization etc.
The main goal of the school health services is :
- To promote, protect, prevent, and
- Maintain the optimum health status of the school children and
- To reduce the morbidity and mortality among school children.
School health services include all school activities and procedures designed to affect the present health status of the children.
- This is composed of :
- an appraisal of students’ health,
- prevention, and control of disease,
- prevention and correction of physical defects,
- health guidance and supervision,
- and emergency care.
Activities on school health services
The major activities in school health services include :
- Prevention of communicable diseases.
- First aid and emergency care.
- Remedial measures and follow up.
- Healthful school environment.
- Dental health.
- Mental health.
- Eye health.
- Nutrition services.
- Health education.
- Education of handicapped.
- Maintenance of the school health reports and use in a proper manner.
- Appraisal of the health status of school children and school personnel.
What are the advantages of school health services?
Advantages of school health services are :
- School health services help to achieve the optimal health status of the school children and school health personnel.
- School health services help to prevent communicable diseases.
- It provides first aid services and emergency services.
- First aid and emergency services are the secondary levels of prevention.
- Health appraisal of the school children helps to develop an understanding of the students.
- It takes interest in his/her health status.
- Helps the parents to understand the status and need of their children.
- Helps to enable a school to understand the health needs of its child.
- The child and school program will be adapted to the need of the student.
- Established a wholesome relationship between health personnel and child.
- It can give assurance to the child, his parents, and his teacher that his present health is at a satisfactory level.
- Gives a warning that the health status is not satisfactory and provides a warning of possible danger ahead.
- Health appraisal can indicate where strength and weakness exist and where is special attention profitable be applied.
- It can give an accounting of progress or lack of progress in the health program of each child.
- It can serve as an experience that motivates a child to take satisfaction in his health and to maintain a quality of life
- Helps to protect and promote the health status of the school family.
- Helps to promote, maintain, and contribute to the understanding of the health of students.
- It helps to appraise the health status of students through a screening test and health examination.
- Adjust the school program to meet the need of the special groups.
- Counsel and advice students, parents, and teachers regarding health or behavior.
- Helps to appraise the health status of school personnel.
- Counsel students, parents, teachers, and others concerning appraisal findings.
- Encourage the correction of remedial defects.
- Assist the identification and education of handicapped children.
- Help to prevent and control the spread of diseases.
- Provides emergency services for injury and sudden sickness.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Why is school health services important?
School health services are important because they help to achieve the optimal health status of the school children and school health personnel and help the parents to understand the status and needs of their children.
What is the meaning of school health services?
School health services include all school activities and procedures designed:
to affect the present health status of the children,
to promote, protect, prevent, and
maintain the optimum health status of the school children and
to reduce the morbidity and mortality among them.
What are the four major components in the school health program?
The four major components in the school health program are:
school health policy,
the healthful school environment,
health instruction, and
school health services.
What are the aspects of school health services?
Prevention of communicable diseases, first aid and emergency care, remedial measures and follow up, healthful school environment, dental health, mental health, Eye health, Nutrition services, Health education, Education of handicapped, Maintenance of the school health reports, and use in a proper manner and appraisal of the health status of school children and school personnel.
Also read :